- Not visiting Malaysia means SG consumers spend local.
- Making it difficult for Malaysians to enter Singapore means companies hire locals.
- Opportunity for local companies to reconsider their supply chain and reduce reliance on Malaysia (i.e develop local industries).
- SG can’t go for road trip holiday in Malaysia to enhance quality of live during lockdown.
- SG can’t shop in Malaysia to lower cost of living.
- SG can’t check on their overseas assets (personal & corporate) in Malaysia (though it must be noted goods are still flowing across the MY-SG border.
But, there is always politics and optics……